Sitting Grave Site returned
The State of North Dakota had the grave site of Sitting Bull since 1956. It was returned to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe on January 5, 2007 with great joy and thankfulness.
Sitting Bull Grave Site SD
Sitting Bull Grave site located near the Grand River Casino is the second grave site of Sitting Bull. In 1953, it is said, that his remains were moved to a burial site near Mobridge, South Dakota. This grave is located South of the Grand River Casino where a large monument has been created as his memorial. The site was taken in the night in 1953 and moved to this area. The Sakakwea Monument honors the woman were went with Lewis and Clark to the Pacific.
Standing Rock National Native American Scenic Byway
The Standing Rock became a new Native American Scenic Byway in Washington DC September 22, 2005 at the Designation of the New Byway. Standing Rock Native American Scenic Byway The Native American Scenic Byway stretches across the expansive tallgrass plains of the Sioux people, who preserve the history of the shaping of the American West. As you pass through the green-gold hills of this Byway, its many memorial markers, monuments, museums, and sacred sites commemorate the heritage of the Sioux Nation and help you hear history from the Native American point of view. The entire 86 miles of the Standing Rock Native American Scenic Byway are within the borders of the Standing Rock Reservation. In addition to its rich history, the reservation is unique due to its location in two states North Dakota (ND) and South Dakota (SD).
September 9, 1807, Ensign Nathanial Pryor was commissioned to Return the Mandan Chief White Coyote to his people on the Upper Missouri River. White Coyote was the Chief that went to Washington DC with Lewis and Clark after the corp of Discovery with anothe chief of the Arikara named Eagle Feathers. Ensign Pryor stop at the Arikara camp to imform the people of the death of their chief Eagle Feathers. The Arikara under the Chief Grey Eyes attacked the group. Ensign Pryor group suffered 19 casualties. It was the first Indian and white battle in Sourth Dakota. 1823 - Ashley Fur trading Company attack by Arikara Arikara Indians attack a fur trading party led by a General Ashley. Twelve of the fur traders were killed and eleven wounded. This fight is one of the first fights between Indians and whites in South Dakota. News of the attack on the Ashley party resulted in the launching of a punitive expedition against the Arikaras. The expedition was under the command of Col. Henry Leavenworth. The troops consisted of six companies of the 6th U.S. Infantry and several groups of fur traders. Colonel Henry Leavenworth, commander of the fort at the time, took 200 soldiers to the Arikara village. The troops shelled the village with a cannon for several hours. However, the damage was slight, and the Indians suffered few casualties from the six-pound shells. After Colonel Leavenworth decided the Akikara had suffered enough, he attempted to obtain a pledge from them of their future good behavior. After a truce was called to discuss the issue, most of the Indians slipped out of the village and escaped.
1811 - Fort Manuel (1772–1820), North American fur trader, born in New Orleans; led first important expedition up the Missouri 1807 and built Fort Manuel at mouth of Bighorn River; with Andrew Henry, Jean Pierre Chouteau, and others founded Missouri Fur Company (1808–9) and built Fort Lisa near mouth of Big Knife River in North Dakota; erected Fort Manuel in South Dakota 1812; Fort Manuel was established by Manuel Lisa and Toussaint Charbonneau on the banks of the Missouri River right below the present day Kenel, South Dakota. 1811-December 21 - Death of Sakakawea A fur trader at Fort Manuel, an outpost owned by fur mogul Manuel Lisa, apparently recorded her death in his journal on Dec. 20, 1812. John C. Luttig wrote that Charbonneau's wife, a Shoshone woman, "died of a putrid fever." He went on to write "she was a good and the best woman in the fort, aged abt 25 years." Fort Manuel, now underwater, was near present-day Kenel, S.D., just south of the North Dakota border on the Standing Rock Reservation. Fort Manuel was rebuilt by Kenel District in 2000. 1813 - Subagent for Missouri Manuel Lisa made subagent for Missouri River Sioux and keeps them friendly to American interest.
Monument to Father Kenel & Marty
Monument to Father Kenel & Marty, Kenel, SD
Gravesite of Sitting Bull ND
The original grave site of Sitting Bull, spiritual Leader of Hunkpapa band of Lakota. A large boulder resting on a concert slab with a sign leaning against the boulder list some information about Sitting Bull. Sitting Bull was murder by Indian Police by orders of the Indian Agent Major James McLaughlin on December 15, 1890.
Monument to Indian Police
Monument to Indian Police who killed Sitting Bull, Fort Yates, ND
Standing Rock Monument
LEGEND OF STANDING ROCK A Dakota had married an Arikara woman and by her had one child. By and by he took another wife. The first wife was jealous and pouted. When time came for the village to break camp, she refused to move from her place on the tent floor. The tent was taken down but she sat on the ground with her babe on her back. The rest of the camp with her husband went on. At noon her husband halted the line. “Go back to your sister-in-law”, he said to his two brothers. “Tell her to come on and we will await you here. But hasten, for I fear she may grow desperate and kill herself”. The two rode off and arrived at their former camping place in the evening. The woman still sat on the ground. The elder spoke: “Sister-in-law, get up. We have come for you. The camp awaits you”. She did not answer and he put out his hand and touched her head. She had turned to stone! The two bothers lashed their ponies and came back to camp. They told their story but were not believed. “The woman has killed herself and my bothers will not tell me”, said the husband. However, the whole village broke camp and came back to the place where they had left the woman. Sure enough, she sat there still, a block of stone! The Indians were greatly excited. Those chose a handsome pony, made a new travois and placed the stone in the carrying net. Pony and travois were both beautifully painted and decorated with streamers and colors. The stone was thought “waken” (holy) and was given a place of honor in the center of the camp. Whenever the camp moved the stone and travois were taken along. Thus, the stone woman was carried for years and finally brought to Standing Rock Agency and now rests upon a brick pedestal in front of the Agency Office. From this stone Standing Rock Agency derives its name.
World War 1 Monument
World War 1 Monument, Fort Yates, ND
Holy Spirit Church
Holy Spirit Church, Rock Creek, SD
Weinhandl Museum, Shield, ND
Prairie Knights Marina
Prairie Knights Marina, Ft Yates, ND
Grand River Resort, The Bay, SD
Bear Soldier Jackpot Bingo
Bear Soldier Jackpot Bingo: McLaughlin, SD
Major McLaughlin Heritage Center
Major McLaughlin Heritage Center: McLaughlin,SD
Jedediah Smith Monument
Jedediah Smith at the age of 22, signed on with the expedition of William Ashley to travel the Upper Missouri and trap beaver. It is said that Jedediah prayed at the mouth of the Grand River. Jedediah rediscovered the South pass though the Rockie Mountains. A Monument to Jedediah sit on the mouth of the Grand River today.
Barren Butte is the highest location on Standing Rock
Standing Rock Tribal Office
Tours are given in the Tribal Office there are pictures of our leader on the second floor.
Fort Yates Stockade
The stockade building is the only building left of the military Fort; which was built in 1871. The was one of the largest military forts on the Missouri River which was the Indian agency head quarters. This was a two company infantry post during the years of 1870-74, the average strength was three officers and eighty-five men. The Fort was closed in 1903 with only the stockade building remaining at Standing Rock. Rain-In-The Face and others were put in prison in this stockade. Fort Yates, ND